The Best Small Shovel For Gardening-Review and Buying Guide
Small shovel for gardening are widely used by gardeners to perform light digging, weeding and other general tasks.
They can be used as a hand trowel or with one hand on the shaft and the other on the blade. Small shovels are lightweight and can be carried around easily.
Another advantage of small shovels for gardening is that they can be used to perform digging tasks in various ways such as with one hand on the handle and the other on the blade.
What is a gardening shovel?
A shovel is a gardening tool with a handle and a broad flat blade that scoops. The blade is usually made of plastic or metal and the handle is often made of wood or plastic.
Buying Guide: How to choose Best Small Shovel For Gardening ?
Just like all tools, the best shovels for gardening aren’t created equal. So read this guide to know what features to consider and what to look for when buying the perfect shovel.
Types of Shovel: Finding the right shovel is easy when you know the different types that you can choose from. Some shovels are designed for a specific task while others are more general-purpose.
There are many types of shovel available in the market- square points, round heads, garden spade, trowels and transplanters.
- Square points: In a square point shovel the blade comes with a square size with sharp corners. This type of shovel is perfect for soil scooping.
- Round head: The blade of this type of shovels is round and it is design for digging and lifting soil.
- Garden Spade: this type of shovels also has a square size but the bottom design of this blade is different. This type of shovels is perfect for doing all kind of gardening chores.
- Trowel: This type of shovels design is oval type and it is perfect for planting small plants or flowers.
- Transplanter: It is similar to trowel but it design to dig deep in to soil and it is helpful for planting small plants or stems.
Blade Material – The important part of the shovel is the blade. If the shovel is going to last, the head needs to be durable and strong. Usually it is made with carbon steel which is strong enough as well as light weight and some blade is made with stainless steel. Before buying make sure that the blade comes with a rust proof coating.
Weight – Weight of a shovel is another important point you need to consider. A certain amount of weight is required for the shovel to perform greater but also too much weight will add unwanted load on top of the actual load the shovel will carry.
On the other hand, a lighter shovel will not be able to exert enough pressure on the load to dig deep enough. It is essential to find a balance in this situation.
Handles –The material of the handle is also not to be neglected. The shovel handles are generally made of wood, plastic, metal, or fiberglass or any combination of these materials.
It is better if it is made of wood if you want to ensure its durability. A poly carbonate handle is also an excellent choice. Whatever the material, what matters is the comfort of the fit and the firmness of the grip.
Additionally, the weight of the handle must align with that of the blade to achieve proper balance to be effective.
Top 7 best Small Shovel For Gardening-
- Best small hand garden shovel- Fiskars Ergo Garden Hand Trowel
- Best hand garden shovel set- Newflager Mini Colorful Metal Hand Shovel
- Best trowel shovel-Heavy Duty Carbon Steel Edward Tools Garden Trowel
- Best shovel for digging in clay –ZUZUAN Aluminum Heavy Duty Gardening Kit set
- Best shovel for rocky soil- Heavy Duty Polished Stainless Steel shovel
- Best shovels for digging- REDCAMP Folding Camping Shovel with High Carbon Steel
- Best garden spade shovel- Tierra Garden DeWit Forged Hand Trowel
Material-Aluminum | Brand- Fiskars | Item Weight- 0.4 Pounds | Grip Type- Ergonomic | Item Dimensions LxWxH- 13 x 4 x 2 inches
- Ideal for digging when planting, taking up plants, turning up earth and more
- Ergonomically designed handle reduces hand and wrist fatigue while weeding
- Cuts through tough turf cleanly
- Polished aluminum head resists rust for lasting value
Designed for easy use and lasting durability, our Ergo Trowel features a special handle design that reduce hand and wrist fatigue.
The cast-aluminum head resists rust and won’t snap off while you’re digging, no matter how tough your soil is. Additionally, the handle features a hang hole for convenient storage.
This hand trowel combines their sturdiness, a comfortable handle and a wide blade which prevents soil from spilling over when you scoop.
This is one of those tools that is a great investment because you won’t have to keep replacing it and it will be a pleasure to use every time you reach for it. It makes gardening and chores a pleasure and much simpler to perform.
Material- Metal | Color- Yellow, Blue, Green, Pink and Red | Brand- Newflager | Size- 10.6 * 3 inches
- Durable Material: It is made of Metal, which can be used for a very long time.
- Assorted Colors: Yellow, Blue, Green, Pink and Red. The 5 colors are wide choices for kids.
- Cute design for Kids.
- Wide Applications: Ideal garden tool for digging, weeding, transplanting and so on.
- What you can get: 5 garden trowels and one grow card.
- These are looks beautiful and perfect for gardening.
Material- Stainless Steel, Carbon Steel, Rubber | Brand- Edward Tools | Grip Type- Ergonomic | Item Weight- 9.1 ounces
- Heavy Duty Carbon Steel is bend proof and break proof for confident digging in heavy clay or rocky soils
- Depth markers for easy measurement for more consistent planting or transplanting
- ErgoGrip with ergonomic rubber grip handle for comfortable use and better leverage in heavy / rocky soils
- Rust proof, Bend Proof and Break proof indestructible design
- Lifetime Warranty – If for any reason this garden hand shovel doesn’t hold up the way you expect we will replace it for the lifetime of the tool
This best small gardening shovel is made of heavy duty carbon steel for confident digging in heavy clay or soils.
It features depth markers for easy measurements to use when planting or transplanting. The Ergo Grip handle of this trowel is more comfortable to use and provides plenty of leverage for heavy or rocky soils.
It is comes with a rust proof and bend proof coating. The best part is the trowel is protected by a lifetime warranty so you have peace of mind.
Material- Aluminum | Color– 3pcs-black with green | Brand– ZUZUAN | Grip Type- Contoured, Ergonomic | Item Weight– 1.15 Pounds | Item Dimensions LxWxH- 12.3 x 3.3 x 2.7 inches
This Garden Tool Sets comes with hand trowel, transplant trowel and cultivator hand rake and made of polished high quality aluminum alloy.
It is ideal for a variety of tasks including pruning, digging, weeding, loosening soil, aerating, transplanting, etc.
Ergonomically Design– Handle of this best mini garden shovel set is made of high quality TPR rubber, which is comfortable and non-slip.
The ergonomic rubber grip with contoured finger grips and palm rest reduce hand and wrist fatigue while weeding, and features a hang hole for convenient storage.
Hand Trowel– Large head displaces more soil to speed work, but the shovel tip is smooth without sharp burr or corner, don’t worry about getting hurt. Ideal for excavation work, such as planting, transplanting, tilling the soil, etc.
Transplant Trowel– With two standard units of scale(Inches and centimeters), easy to read and don’t be worn, ideal for removing dirt and measuring when you want to get right depth with the plant, or transplanting small plants and flowers.
Cultivator Hand Rake– The claw body’s thickness is 7 mm with more sturdy structure, so it is hard to break, ideal for decomposing soil for ventilation, cleaning up waste, removing weeds or mixing soil with fertilizer.
It is comes with a beautiful and environmentally-friendly paper material packaging boxes, durable top-quality and good looking, this would be a perfect gift for birthdays, anniversaries, farewells, best wishes, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Labor Day, New Year’s day or as a gift for yourself.
Material- Stainless Steel | Brand- Edward Tools | Blade Material- Stainless Steel | Grip Type– Contoured, Ergonomic | Item Weight- 1.26 pounds
- Most heavy duty garden hand trowel tool on the market
- One piece stainless steel is bend proof making it the best hand shovel for working rocky or heavy clay soils
- Oversize trowel head makes for quicker work as soil can be moved in greater volume
- Ergonomic rubber grip with contoured finger grips and palm rest
- Lifetime warranty – Find a way to bend this garden hand shovel and we will replace it no questions asked
Material- Alloy Steel | Color- Green | Brand- REDCAMP | Is Foldable- Yes | Item Weight- 2.46 Pounds | Item Dimensions LxWxH- 10.2 x 7.5 x 10.2 inches
The sharpened edge is for digging and the serrated saw edge cuts through roots, compost, mud, sand and snow.
This tool can dig tires out of dirt if your car becomes stuck. You can fold up the shovel twice into a small portable package. It fits in the glove box, so you can keep it in your car, backpack or toolbox; this tool will get you out of any tight situation.
You can use this tool for digging, sawing, cutting, hammering, and shoveling. It can be used either straight or at a 90°angle as a shovel, hoe, pick or saw.
This best small shovel for gardening is also ideal for camping, hiking, backpacking, fishing, hunting, gardening outdoor activities. It also comes with 365-day full manufacturer warranty.
Material- Wood, Alloy Steel | Brand- Tierra Garden | Style- Short Handle | Item Weight- 0.5 Pounds | Item Dimensions LxWxH- 12 x 1.5 x 3.5 inches
This DeWit Forged Hand Trowel is an elevated take on the standard garden trowel, constructed with sharpened edges and a hand-forged boron steel head.
This trowel is touted as the best designed trowel on the market – strong, durable, and efficient.
It is made of hardened boron steel that has been heat-treated for strength. This best garden hand trowel is the perfect long-lasting addition to your garden tools.
This forged hand trowels are designed with an ash hardwood handle harvested from environmentally responsible FSC-certified forests.
Gardening chores aren’t a bore with this quick and efficient forged trowel. With a sharpened full-length blade, the Forged Hand Trowel makes planting, cultivaitng, and weeding a breeze!
There’s no need to feel awkward or weighed down by heavy and inefficient tools when working in your garden. Sharpened from side to side, this trowel is ideal for digging, cutting through roots, and eliminating weeds.
FAQs: Best Small Shovel For Gardening
Before buying a shovel makes sure that its blade and handle are durable and strong enough. Whether the use of the gardening shovel is occasional or intensive, it is recommended to ensure its solidity. You're not going to be replacing this tool every time, though. This is why you need to make sure that this tool is made with quality materials.
Small garden shovel are generally used to perform light digging, weeding, planting small plants or stems etc. and it perfect for this kind of work in your garden. They are light weight and you can carry it easily. It is available in various types and shaped in the market.
A good garden shovel is light weight, strong enough; made with good material, to be comfortable when using the gardening shovel and also you can easily handle it.
There are some checkpoints when you choose garden shovel. For this check this article, we are explaining all the points what need to check before buying.
There is various type of shovel such as square points, round heads, garden spade, trowels etc. But for digging up grass and plants round heads is the perfect one.
The blade shape of scoop shovel is flat with a straight edge and in a garden shovel it is bowl shaped with a rounded tip. The handle of a scoop shovel is long compare to garden shovel. The size is larger of a scoop shovel compare to garden shovel.
The scoop shovel is mainly used for slicing soil and roots, moving soil and other loose materials and a garden shovel are mainly used for digging, breaking up and turning soil.